There is no definite way to identify a fraudulent seller or buyer. We urge you to practice good judgement and keep the following tips in mind:
Tips for Buyers:
- Always meet the seller at a safe location and see the item for sale before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams. This is also true for housing rentals. If you can’t tour the house or apartment before renting it, it’s likely not available.
- Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
- The best way to transact is to exchange the item and payment at the same time. Never wire funds or use a prepaid debit card to transfer money to someone you don’t know. With these types of payment, once you send the money, it’s gone.
- Ask for clear information on condition of the good, price, payment and delivery method.
- Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with.
- Avoid deals involving shipping or escrow services. The “Easy Yard Sale” scam is only one take on this trend. Avoid them by purchasing directly from the seller.
- Get a verifiable telephone number for the seller.
- In case of electronic goods, cars, and bikes you should test the functioning of the product before purchase. Verify vehicle identification numbers if purchasing an auto or trailer. Services are available that can provide the history of a vehicle or trailer for salvage, theft, and for identification purposes.
- Do your research on comparative prices for the product.
- Never give out your financial information.
- Always use the “Email Seller” to get in touch with the seller. This will help us notify you immediately if we are made aware of any fraudulent activities by the seller.
Tips for Sellers:
- It’s preferable to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
- Watch out for fake checks and money orders. Be aware that banks will initially accept checks, but will hold you responsible if they are later discovered to be fake.
- Verify the buyer credentials if there is a request for a bulk order.
- Get a verifiable telephone number from the buyer.
- Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad post to avoid misunderstandings with buyer.
- Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.
What should I do if I suspect someone to be fraudulent buyer or seller?
Please contact us at Legal Issues, if you suspect someone to be acting fraudulently on UTTARADS. We also urge you to notify the Police immediately if you have been a victim of fraud.
What kind of ad posts are forbidden / not allowed on UTTARADS?
UTTARADS prohibits the listing or sale of any item that is illegal under any applicable national or international law.
UTTARADS never mediates between the seller and the buyer. If any individual or website claiming to be from UTTARADS offers to help with your transaction as an agent or broker then do not take up the offer.
All UTTARADS communication will use either Uttarads.com or Uttarads.in domain. We advise you to practice caution and inform UTTARADS Legal Issues immediately if you get an email claiming to be from UTTARADS but using a different domain name.